It's three o'clock in the afternoon and a long day of fixing systems in extreme temperatures is getting to you - and you're hungry to boot. But what should you eat?
There are many options out there, but not all of them are healthy or will keep you filled up for the rest of your busy day. The key to a healthy snack that keeps you filled is having a carbohydrate and a protein. We've got five satisfying snacks to hold you over until your day is through.
- A piece of fruit and half a cup of nuts. This snack can be easily packed in the morning and doesn't have to be refrigerated. Fruits like a banana or orange will give you a dose of healthy sugar, while the protein from nuts like pistachios, almonds, or cashews will keep you full for the rest of your afternoon.
- Whole-wheat crackers and Laughing Cow cheese. When at the grocery store, choose whole-wheat crackers for a healthy and salty alternative to white flour crackers. Laughing Cow cheese comes in a variety of spreadable flavors, which will give variety.
- Popcorn sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. This snack can be popped in the morning, and then sprinkle with Parmesan when you're ready to chow down.
- Oatmeal with nuts. If you have access to a microwave, oatmeal is a high-fiber snack that can be doctored up with additions like nut butter, dried fruit, or chopped roasted nuts.
- Bagel or toast with Nutella. For those of you who crave something sweet in the afternoon, hazelnut spread like Nutella will give you something both sweet and satisfactory. Toast the bread before you leave for work, and carry the hazelnut spread in a to-go container to eat on the road.
Once you've finished your snack, be sure to bring breath mints or gum with you – offensive breath can break a sale!