A perfect storm is facing the HVAC industry, and if you weren't at this year's Lennox Dealer Meeting, you may not know how to prepare your business for this challenge.
So what is the perfect storm? According to statistics from the Air-Conditioning, Heating, & Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) ...
- Labor Shortage - There is a major shortage of skilled HVAC technicians, and the number of entry-level graduates from tech schools has steadily declined for the past 10 years.
- Aging Workforce - The median age for technicians is 56, which means a majority of the HVAC workforce will be retiring in the coming years.
- Estimated Need - Projected growth for the HVAC industry over the next five years is about 22 percent, but this is only attainable if we address the workforce shortage.
The first step in facing the perfect storm head-on is to find new techniques for hiring skilled HVAC technicians. You can start by using these tips for recruiting valuable new hires.
- Promote on social media - Simply changing your company LinkedIn profile's status to “hiring” or sharing company posts on your personal Facebook newsfeed can be a free resource for finding new hires.
- Hire from high school vocational training programs - Research high schools in your area to see if they have professional training programs you can use as recruiting resources.
- Recruit veterans - With a strong work ethic and technical expertise, experienced military members create an ideal transition into our industry. With several programs available to find returning veterans looking for employment, it can be easy to find a qualified recruit ready to work. For more information on recruiting veterans, please visit www.hvacls.com/2015DM.
- Get help from Lennox - Professional HVAC recruiting agencies, such as BirdDog, Hire Dimensions, and HVAC Agent, are Lennox preferred vendors that offer discounts to Lennox dealers. Find more information about these opportunities on DaveNet® under Partner Resources.
By considering these recruiting techniques, you can brace your business for the perfect storm and find qualified new hires to mold into master technicians.
I offer daily tips on Twitter for dealers, Comfort Advisors, and technicians alike. Follow me at @HVACLearning for insight into today's trending topics.