There’s an American veteran who could help you out
Sound Off! I Don’t Know What You Been Told, A Career in HVAC is Mighty Cold!
This season, recruit one of the country’s hardest
working men and women into your HVAC business —hire a veteran.
Remember the Bruce Springsteen song ‘Born in the U.S.A.’? It has the line, "Come back home to the refinery, hiring man said 'son if it was up to me.'” Many veterans who come home from overseas duty find themselves hearing the same sentiments.
With the HVAC industry rebounding from a labor shortage, and the strong residential and commercial building going on in many major cities, this is a great time to recruit a vet and train them into your business. These are strong, disciplined men and women who bring integrity and a resilient work ethic—all important attributes in building and growing a successful HVAC business.
Got a vet in mind you’re considering bringing aboard? At Lennox, we can help you. We offer two great options to help new technicians get NATE certified.
Our BuildATech® training is a comprehensive, four-week course that covers everything from diagnostics to communication and maintenance, to becoming a NATE certified technician. The training features a series of webinars and hands-on instruction at our training centers in Atlanta, GA, Dallas, TX, Columbus, OH or Los Angeles, CA.
Course highlights include:
- Webinars: HVAC basics.
- Classroom Instruction: Refrigeration, cooling, electrical, heating, NATE and EPA study.
- Classroom Instruction: Pump down recovery, recharging, brazing, air distribution, A/C refrigeration and diagnostics, and more.
- Classroom Instruction: Tech communication, gas heat, controls, NATE and BuildATech exams, course graduation.
Our Virtual BuildATech® course is designed to help train techs with no waiting. The online course gives your new hire the chance to learn on the job, while completing virtual training through the proven curriculum from our highly successful instructor-led BuildATech program.
Course highlights include:
- Self-Paced: Techs move through each course at their own pace so your work flow isn’t jeopardized by lack of manpower.
- On-Demand: Your tech has 24/7 access and courses can be completed in as little as 4 weeks.
- Interactive Learning: Features include an exclusive three-dimensional HVAC troubleshooting simulation, allowing the tech to work through a service call from the comfort of their own computer.
- Exclusive Materials: Tech receives unique training materials that feature module topics covering HVAC fundamentals, electrical, cooling, heating, technician communications and NATE preparation.
- Certification and Comprehension: Each segment ends with a proctored exam requiring a successful passing score in order to continue. Upon completion students earn EPA certificates and test for the NATE exam.
When hiring, let’s be mindful of the men and women who’ve served and are transitioning back into civilian life. According to the 2016 American Community Survey, there are 18.8 military veterans in the U.S. Of that number, 1.6 million are female veterans. Altogether, that’s a lot of talent to choose from!
Sound off, and hire a veteran! It could be the best hiring decision you’ve ever made for your business and a great addition to the ever-growing HVC industry.
After training, one of the best ways to equip your new technicians is to hook them up with digital tools to help them get the job done faster and more efficiently.