A new year means new products, new goals, and a fresh start for your company and employees. For companies in the HVAC industry, that also means new regional HVAC efficiency standards.
So what does this mean for you and your company?
Minimum efficiency levels for split AC, heat pumps, and packaged units will vary by region, with North, Southwest, and South divisions. The minimum SEER levels are as follows:
- North - AC 13 SEER / heat pump 14 SEER 8.2 HSPF
- Southwest - AC 14 SEER 11.7-12.2 EER / heat pump 14 SEER 8.2 HSPF
- South - AC 14 SEER / heat pump 14 SEER 8.2 HSPF
How quickly does the change go into effect?
The change takes effect Jan. 1, 2015 for all 2015-manufactured products (residential single-phase only.) For products manufactured prior to 2015, there will be an 18-month grace period from the Department of Energy for non compliant products as long as it has a manufacture date prior to Jan. 1, 2015. The final date to sell a non compliant product is June 30, 2016.
How do I begin implementing this change in my dealership?
- Research - Do your research to know what products are affected by the regional standards ratings change, and the repercussions for violators.
- Education - Start by educating each and every employee on the new ratings as well as best practices for choosing a product to install.
- Inventory - Assess your inventory and begin phasing out the non compliant products before the June 30, 2016 cut-off date.
For more information on the 2015 regional HVAC efficiency standards change, contact your Lennox Territory Manager.