In a managerial position, it is your responsibility to conduct interviews to sift out the most promising applicants. The basic questions such as, "what type of HVAC experience do you have?" or "describe your work ethic," need to be asked in every interview. However, there are much better ways to decipher the reliable, trustworthy workers from the lazy, mediocre ones. As a manager it is important to recognize a potential employee's good work ethic from a poor one and learn to ask questions that reveal this information.
Here is a list of the top 10 character revealing interview questions:
1. What do you think "doing a great job" means?
2. When would it be acceptable to not meet a commitment?
3. What was your most challenging situation with a customer, and how did you handle it?
4. How do you handle missing work-related deadlines?
5. What are you most proud of in your life?
6. What are some of the bigger mistakes you've made in your previous jobs, and how did you handle them?
7. What do you love most about this field of work?
8. Do you believe the customer is always right - why or why not?
9. What type of training have you received and how has it benefited you? Are you interested in continuing your training?
10. What do you think being "treated fairly in the workplace" entails?
These questions are great for managers to utilize and for candidates to practice with. In an interview, it is important for applicants to sell their character in addition to their talents. If any interviewee comes across as sluggish or incompetent, immediately categorize them as unfit for the job.
Did I miss something? Share your opinions with me @HVACLearning